Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

It's Halloween!  There was a time when I looked forward to this holiday for months.  Now, it just seems to be an excuse to dress as a "slutty (cartoon character, fuzzy animal, etc.)" and get drunk.  Halloween seems to have simply lost its luster.  However, upon further reflection, this might have less to do with society careening down the path to never-ending debauchery than this simple fact: I have no small children in my life.  The youngest person I see on a regular basis is getting ready to receive a learner's driving permit. 

Maybe the magic of Halloween comes from kids allowing themselves to be scared.  As adults, we're expected to be removed from fright.  True fear means that we're not understanding something ironically, nor can we be coolly aloof or postmodern about it.  We would have to be fully engaged for a length of time and I just don't know if adults are willing to drop their guards anymore.

Perhaps this is the cause of the problem I wrote about last week; filmmakers, like the rest of us, are unwilling to take the subject seriously.  Why would I want to force artists into a way of thinking that has become outdated?  Well, primarily because I don't think it's become outdated.  We yearn for true connections and sincerity.  We just don't know how to get back to that point and still speak today's language.

If I made a sign saying "STOP THE IRONY" and paraded around downtown, do you think people would take me seriously for once?

No comments:

Post a Comment