Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Review: "Fido" (2006)

I don't think I've yet used this blog as a platform to declare my undying love for my Netflix "Watch Instantly" list.  I bought a Roku when they became available, but am now able to use my TiVo box to stream movies and television shows straight to my TV.  It's lovely.

Anyway...

Last night, I used my instant viewing powers to watch "Fido," a zombie satire set in an alternate 1950s United States.  Space rays have started causing zombification in dead folks.  Living people have enclosed themselves in a small town surrounded by a protective gate; outside the gate, thar be zombees.  Zombies within the city limits are fitted with collars which stop the flesh-lust and allow them to perform menial tasks (delivering newspapers, cleaning, opening doors, etc). 

I expected some pretty heavy social commentary on race, sexism, class differences...something like a cross between "Pleasentville" and "Shaun of the Dead."  Unfortunately, the movie-makers seemed hesitant to push the concept toward anything that might make viewers think.

On a positive note, "Fido" does do something new with the zombie genre, which has been getting a bit tired lately, is sharply written, well-acted (I LOVE Carrie-Anne Moss), and shot beautifully.  Well worth my two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment